Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | EngineeringApply Now
Veem empowers small and medium businesses who spend too much time and money dealing with inefficient financial payment systems. Our transparent, relationship-based payments model makes it easy to build trust with your vendors, contractors and customers by providing a quick and seamless payable and receivable process. We make the process even easier for these clients by supporting integration with all major accounting software including QuickBooks, Netsuite, and Xero. Backed by top investors such as Truist Ventures, Google Ventures, Goldman Sachs, Kleiner Perkins and a global syndicate of tech-forward banks based in the US, Japan, China, Australia, and the Middle East, Veem is a fast-growing financial technology company that is changing the way companies pay and get paid.
Veem is looking for an experienced data engineer to be a key member of our Engineering Team. The position will be based full-time in Ottawa. You are passionate about leading initiatives to deliver core insights that are rigorous and reliable. Your work will be leveraged throughout the company including product, sales, marketing, and leadership. You have deep technical skills and are excited about building a green field data platform to help make data-informed decisions.
Guiding Principles and Expected Responsibilities
The Data Team’s objective is to answer central questions that are foundational for our business: What influences customer behavior? How do these influences impact our business?
- Define and develop the program and architecture for data collection, modeling, metrics creation, data validation, model training, and reporting of intelligence.
- Create pipelines (data processing, data analysis, optimization, implementation, validation)
- Define data schemas and services, focussed on accessibility/use-case for the consuming process.
- Understand customer behavior to develop predictive models to increase and optimize customer experiences, revenue generation, ad targeting and other business outcomes.
What We Believe Will Lead To Your Success
- We’re looking for someone with 5-10 years of experience in data engineering or platform engineering with an emphasis working with creating data architectures to collect and analyze diverse datasets (e.g. large and small, structured and unstructured, behavioral and self-reported).
- Highly effective with SQL and understand how to write and tune complex queries.
- Hands-on experience with languages like R, Python or Java for data manipulation.
- Working knowledge of relational & analytical databases and distributed systems with tech stack that can include - MySQL, Snowflake, Redshift, Hive/Hadoop, AWS S3 services, GraphDB, Spark, etc.
- Experience analyzing data from 3rd party providers like: Google Analytics, Adwords, Segment, Salesforce, Pardot, Mandrill, etc.
- Nice to have: Data analysis using tools like: Looker, Tableau, D3, ggplot, etc.
- Nice to have: Familiarity with machine learning and statistical approaches (Clustering, Decision Trees, Bayesian, GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Neural Networks, etc.)
- BS/BA or greater in Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, or another quantitative field.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits package (Health, Dental, Medical, Vision)
- Group RRSP Plan (after 3 months)
- 3 weeks vacation
- Friday afternoon unwind