Senior Backend Engineer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | EngineeringApply Now
Veem’s mission is to make payments and everything related to payments easier for small businesses. We were founded by a world-class team with decades of experience in international payments, and we are backed by some of the top investors in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, and Asia.
Veem is looking for an experienced Senior Engineer to be a key member of our Engineering team. The position will be based full-time in our Ottawa office. You are passionate about leading initiatives to deliver bulletproof services and platforms that deliver real value to our customers. You have deep technical skills and are excited about building and scaling platforms to grow the business to new heights.
Veem’s culture is positive, diverse, and nurturing. If we sound like a good fit, please apply.
- Integrity without Compromise
- Customer Forward
- Embrace the Adventure
- One Team, One Veem
The Engineering team’s objective is deliver capabilities that are foundational for our business.
- As a member of our Agile team, you will be working closely with a team of FE, BE, and QA engineers, as well as Product Managers on a daily basis.
- Be an active participant in the team’s collaborative decision process.
- Partner with architects to design and code new features for our expanding business.
- Document your technical design and approach.
- Perform code reviews across Agile teams.
- Evolve and expand a modern, distributed microservice platform that is processing several billion USD annually.
- 8+ years of experience developing Java-based platforms and applications
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Engineering, or another quantitative field.
- Demonstrated experience mentoring junior and intermediate developers, applying emotional intelligence to contribute to team harmony, cohesion, and effectiveness
- Hands-on experience designing and scaling REST APIs in a distributed microservice architecture.
- History of delivering web services for consumer-facing applications
- Experience with a diverse set of datastores: RDBMS (MySQL), NoSQL (DynamoDB), Indexes (SolR, Elastic Search), and associated data formats (JSON, XML)
- Experience with Hibernate or similar ORM libraries
- Experience with AWS, Google Cloud, or other Infrastructure-as-a-service offerings.
- Familiarity with Spring Boot, Redis, Kafka, and related technologies.
- Familiarity with other languages and constructs: Python, Scala, Groovy, and functional programming.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits package (Health, Dental, Medical, Vision)
- Group RRSP Plan (after 3 months)
- 3 weeks vacation
- Weekly lunch, cereal bar, Monday bagel breakfasts, fruits/snacks
- Monthly team outings and office-wide quarterly events
- Friday afternoon unwind